So I began this project by going out into town on walks to scout out any locations that could give me inspiration or an idea. While Walking down Old College Rd, I realized that there were many older scenes with streetlamps and a wide sidewalk.
After some research, I found The Street With No Name(1948) Which had an excellent setting with the exact street type I had access to.
After taking some pictures, editing them, and comparing the final image with my reference, I began in Houdini.
This was my first time in Houdini, so it was definitely a struggle. I first began by setting up my references and grey-boxing my scene. Then I began moving in the larger buildings. My approach was to create my assets from largest forms to smaller props, Then texture, and after, light my scene. Due to time constraints and the Houdini learning curve, I did not have too much time to focus on set dressings and textures. With another week, I would have focused more on the small details to fill the world.
As for my first time with NURBS, it was an interesting experience. Most of my assets are inorganic buildings, so most of my NURBS experimentation happened with the windows and small props. While I was able to complete everything with NURBS, the more complex assets were easier to complete.
Overall, I am glad for the experience and am eager to learn more. I'm looking forward to my next assignment for Digital Environments.